Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Star Wars, deboned

In my travels, I came across this Star Wars alphabet on io9. A friend of mine has a baby boy who is being introduced to various science fiction joys, so I passed on the link (http://io9.com/5915838/teach-kids-the-alphabet-with-these-adorable-star-wars-prints)

He in turn asked me if I'd heard about the "de-specialized" Star Wars vids that were around and about (I'll leave the particulars as an exercise for the interested reader). Apparently, some enterprising soul has taken the crappy laser disc port of the original Star Wars trilogy and blended it with the Special Edition...and eliminating the, erm, enhancements. He tells me they are wondrous to behold.

I will say only that George Lucas, like all artists, needs to figure out when to quit (no pun intended in light of his recent "retirement"). He managed to insert a mythos into the world's collective unconscious. Not that many people get the privilege to actually make Myth. It seems folly for him to say, "Are you kidding? Here: this is much better!"

I mean, you know?



No comments:

Post a Comment