Friday, June 22, 2012

Wonder Reference


This is my battered paperback edition of The Science Fiction EncyclopediaWikipedia informs me that the US publisher changed the name of the from The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction, who knows why.  I found it remaindered at Waldenbooks a looooong time ago, remaindered, me all starry-eyed like an anime character with the background music soaring and...you get the idea.

That cover with its too-close moon and earthly cataclysm was irresistible.  I used to get lost in a daisy-chain of articles: from an author, to another author, to a movie, to a theme.  All this without hyperlinks, mind.

It became The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction in its second US incarnation, without illustrations sadly, though an update apparently came out on CD-ROM.  The second edition I have, but alas, not the CD.

The third edition moves the endeavor fully online: The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction.  The site went live in October 2011 with the caveat that it is in beta, a work in progress. I have high hopes for its future.

John Clute, Peter Nicholls, David Langford, and many others are pounding away at this labor of love.  You can help with donations.

No comments:

Post a Comment